Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Aug 22, 2016

more observations from the USA (Chicago)


more observations from the USA (Chicago):
* I don't see runners anywhere. In Israel no matter where I go (running or driving) I see runners and bikers. I did see a few people that looked like they were biking to work.
* in the 2 shuls I have been to so far, I have yet to see anybody pull out a cellphone to check their messages. I stopped myself from doing so thinking that the Israeli shouldn't do it if the locals aren't. I don't know that it added to my kavana at all, but that is what happened.
* walking briefly through a supermarket - food is cheap and plentiful (in quantity, quality and variety and package sizing)
* I think the above also sheds some light, in my mind, on why America suffers from an obesity problem.
* the topography is so flat. and so much grass.
* squirrels
* i find myself thinking of distance in miles again rather than kilometers

------------------------------------------------------
Reach thousands of readers with your ad by advertising on Life in Israel
------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

  1. * in the 2 shuls I have been to so far, I have yet to see anybody pull out a cellphone to check their messages. I stopped myself from doing so thinking that the Israeli shouldn't do it if the locals aren't. I don't know that it added to my kavana at all, but that is what happened.

    I'm shocked. Israelis find it acceptable to check their messages during davening? It's not about kavana. It's just extremely disrespectful.

    (btw, you haven't looked around enough. You'll find plenty of shuls in US where they do that too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't realize parts of chicago are dangerous. That's why there are no runners to downtown.

    People don't buy from local grocery stores, but f from large supermarkets, so the package sizes have to be bigger to justify. (You might be buying from a local makolet grocery, but the food manufacturers cater to the supermarkets, so packages are bigger. The local makolet doesn't mind -- he gets to sell bigger quantities, bigger profits (and often call himself a supermarket.)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...